Monday, November 23, 2009

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans


11/12/09
Made it to an early sneak of Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans last week, which is a film based on a character from the original movie Bad Lieutenant (1992), starring Harvey Keitel. Nicholoas Cage plays Terence McDonagh in this dark dramedy showcasing a horribly, yet effective unethical detective carrying numerous addictions including drugs and gambling. I was concerned about seeing Cage in this film after several sub par, predictable performances, but I found myself pleased overall his character. Yes, there is some Cage quirkiness, and the rest of the acting is very questionable, but somehow, I really enjoyed this movie. Also, this movie falls into my category of the uncomfortable "rooting for the protagonist even though that character does awful things," a la Godfather-esque rooting for Michael Corleone. Give this movie a chance and you will catch yourself enjoying and laughing and scenarios that you probably shouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment