Monday, December 22, 2008

Doubt


12/21/2008
Doubt is an ok to good movie. Doubt was simply not my cup of tea. I realize that it is getting nominations, I just didn't think the movie was very deep. I will admit I watched the movie on about 2 hours of sleep from the previous night. The movie is about a priest played by Philip Seymour Hoffman (incidentally one of my favorite actors) who is accused of some inappropriate activities by Sister Aloysius Beauvier (Meryl Streep). To be honest, I thought the role was beneath Hoffman as I think he is capable of much more. Streep was very good in her role and played the deepest character. I understand this movie, I just didn't think it got past the first couple of levels and I expected more from a movie that is receiving such critical buzz. Maybe that is what the differences are between me and the experts. I know making religious movies can be dicey as this movie did hit on several currently controversial topics, but I feel like their just needed to be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment